Monday 23 January 2012

Fri 20 Jan - Onglet

Breakfast today was an almond croissant from Konditor & Cook.  This was a good example, with a generous coating of almonds on top, and a not overly sweet almond filling inside.  The outer almonds were stuck to the croissant with some sort of cake mix, which I found unusual.



Lunch was a wrap containing the last of the leftover salsa from a couple of days ago, along with some chorizo, cheese and salad leaves.  The chorizo (pre-sliced) was from Lidl, about half the price of Tesco and not as plasticy.  I used to mock Lidl but no more, if you've got one close by then take a trip down there, you may be pleasantly surprised.  The wrap was ok bearing in mind the age of the salsa and guacamole.  The chorizo worked well with the other flavours.



Onglet from the Ginger Pig butchers for dinner.  Onglet is the most flavoursome steak cut, and pretty tender if cooked rare to medium.  A bargain too, the £10 worth I bought being enough for two good sized portions for dinner tonight, with enough left over to make a stir-fry for two (which will likely be eaten on Chinese New Year next week).  I served the meat with fried shallots, a side salad and frites from M&S.  I rarely make my own chips, can't be bothered faffing round with boiling hot oil at home.  The M&S frites (from the chiller cabinet, not freezer) are the best oven-cooked variety that I've found.  Fried shallots are not fancy nor are they difficult to make, but are a great accompaniment to steak, especially with a touch of English mustard.  I thoroughly enjoyed this meal.  In a restaurant I usually order bernaise sauce on the side of steak, but I did not miss it on this occasion because the meat was so well flavoured.  The Ginger Pig is a great butcher.


A typical Friday food day.

No comments:

Post a Comment