Thursday 26 January 2012

Mon 23 - Tas

A Chelsea bun from Konditor & Cook to start the day.  A bit dry., and could have done with a few more raisins.


Homemade wrap for lunch, containing camembert chorizo, tomatoes, cucumber, baby beetroot and rocket.  The camembert had been kicking round the fridge for too long, tasted awful and ruined the rest of the wrap.  The remaining camembert was binned as soon as I got home.


In the evening we stopped by the Turkish restaurant Tas, part of a small chain of eateries based in London.  This was the Borough High Street branch.  We were welcomed with complimentary warm fresh bread, black olives and a yoghurt dip upon arrival.  This is a nice gesture, and hospitality like this must be one of the reasons as to why the large restaurant was three quarters full on a miserable Monday night.


Not wanting to be a greedy pig so early in the week, I stuck with a main course of Iskender kebab, which is a mixed grill of chicken and lamb on a bed of pitta squares, with tomato sauce and yoghurt.  I've had this dish a couple of times at rival Turkish mini-chain Haz, and I can now confirm that I preferred this version.  The big difference was that they'd toasted the pitta; this added to the taste and also ensured that I wasn't left with a soggy mush at the bottom of the plate by the time I'd got halfway through.  The perhaps too much tomato sauce, I'd have liked the meat to have remained drier (it was practically swimming in the stuff), though perhaps this is just a matter of personal taste.



The bill was a reasonable £42 including service and a bottle of house (Turkish) wine.  A decent meal, I'll definitely return.

No comments:

Post a Comment