Thursday 15 March 2012

Mon 12 - Auditors, Balls Burger & More Tapas

We had auditors in today, here for the week.  As anyone who works in the financial services industry knows, this is not a happening to be cherished.  I was too full of fear to consume breakfast.

Things perked up a bit when said auditors invited me out for an early lunch.  Trying to soften me up perhaps?  No better way to do so than through food . . .

For matters of convenience, and also because I'd had some decent meals there recently, we went to Balls Brothers, Bury Court.  I ordered the cheeseburger.  It wasn't up to the same standard as my previous visits; either the focaccia bun was too big, or the meat patty was too small, but either way it didn't fit.  I really don't get the focaccia bun thing - what the hell's wrong with a normal burger bun?  The chips were underdone, lacking outside crispness and inside fluffiness.  The American in our contingent also ordered a burger, of which he only ate half, discreetly hiding the remains under his paper napkin.  An American not finishing a burger says a lot for it's quality.  I was starting to worry about how this would reflect upon my audit score . . . why oh why didn't I take them somewhere else???


We got in fairly late from the wine course, but V managed to throw together some tapas, mostly from the remains of yesterday.  So, croquettes, spinach with manchego & onion, tortilla, and chorizo & feta stuffed squid on fennel (from the Richard Corrigan recipe that we've already used at least twice this year).  I'd painstakingly stuffed the squid yesterday, but we were too full to eat it.  Not a bad tea for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment