Saturday 3 March 2012

Sun 26 (Feb) - Snack Board & Currywurst

Once again I couldn't haul myself out of bed until gone midday, no doubt weighed down from the Byron and beers from last night.

I treated myself to brunch of mozzarella, duck pate, roasted peppers, moruno tomatoes and ham.  A special mention for the duck liver pate from MacFarlanes, which was smooth and rich and ducky.


There were a couple of Lidl German style pork sausages left in the freezer, so I made some mashed potato and currywurst sauce to accompany them.  The currywurst was made by gently frying a shallot, then adding ketchup, water and curry powder, then gently simmered until the desired consistency was reached.  I'd never tried this before and was a bit surprised that it worked, as it sounds a bit odd.  I took a leaf out of Hestons mash recipe by infusing the milk with potato skins, and also ricing the potato before pushing through a sieve.  These two tips definitely had a positive effect on the end product, which was particularly potatoey and lumpless.  I also fried some onions, to within an inch of their lives unfortunately.  It didn't spoil a good dinner though, a refreshing alternative to S&M with beans or onion gravy.  Ok, so not that alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment