Wednesday 7 March 2012

Mon 5 - Jose

The day started with a smoothie and a banana.

I found myself heading to Eat for lunch, God knows why because it's usually appalling.  I chose a cheese and pickle baguette.  It wasn't terrible, except for the rubbery cheese - unfortunately a major component.  And I'm sure the baguettes used to taste fresher than they do these days.  So, the salad and (Branston) pickle were fine.  Eat used to be ok didn't it?


On Monday evenings I've started taking a wine course at the Wine & Spirit Education Trust which happens to be on the same street as Jose Pizarro's eponymous tapas bar, Jose.  I've tried to visit twice before, but on both occasions the wait's been more than i can stand.  It's a tiny space, with the kitchen / bar area taking up about a third of the space, leaving room for perhaps 25 visitors.  You'll either be standing or sitting on a high stool, it really is a proper tapas bar, and not a restaurant (though he does have a sit-down place further down the road, named Pizarro).  The menu includes classic tapas fare and some more original creations and daily specials, priced at between £3 (tomato bread) and £9 (Jamon Iberico).  We chose tomato bread (a touch soggy), smoked beef (thinly sliced like ham, delicately smoked so that you could still taste the beef), ham croquettes (creamy, one of the best examples I've eaten), hake allioli (fish perfectly cooked, garlic not overpowering), pumpkin salad (with almonds, young white cheese, spinach leaves and a sweet dressing - V's favourite dish) and Morcilla with roast peppers, apple and mint dressing (my favourite).  So, an almost universal success.  I'll be visiting again soon to sample more of the menu, and to take better pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment