Monday 12 March 2012

Thu 8 - Hawksmoor

I started out with a rhubard yogurt pot from Konditor & Cook.  Nice idea, but as I've said before in an ideal world this should have something thicker than a thin fruit syrup at the bottom.  It doesn't sit well with the yogurt, and is too thin to eat easily with a teaspoon.



I was happy to be visiting the Spitalfields branch of the reliably excellent (how few places can you say that about?) steak restaurant Hawksmoor for a late lunch.  I forwent a starter so I could be sure of finishing the 350g slab of 55 day aged D-rump steak that I'd been thinking about all day.


I requested it rare and it was cooked to pink perfection.  The meat, sourced from a Longhorn cow via the Ginger Pig, was of exceptional quality, very tender and full of flavour.


Luckily for me, my lunch partner is on a no carb diet, resulting in a whole portion of triple cooked chips to myself.  Usually I'm a french fry kind of guy, but these were exceptional - reminiscent of large french fries in fact, being crispy on the outside and totally fluffy within.  The highlight of the meal was the stilton hollandaise sauce that I had on the side, which has now surpassed both mustard and bernaise as my favourite steak accompaniment.  An brilliant meal, and whilst the high standard of food and service was reflected in the price tag, I felt it was worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment