Wednesday 1 February 2012

Mon 30 (Jan) - Pardoe & Wood

Ham and cheese croissant from the trolley again this morning.  This is a pretty consistent product.


I'm sick of sandwich shops in the city.  A choice of low quality deli vs low quality chain, with low quality sushi and low quality noodles as the only alternatives.  The place I tried today is at least a step in the right direction - Pardoe & Wood on Houndsditch.  There are a total of three outlets of this burgeoning chain, though I confess that I've never heard of it until I stumbled upon this branch.  The sandwich ideas differ slightly from the norm, and in common with their better established rivals they also serve noodles, salads and various sweets, as well as having a daily choice between a soup dish or something more substantial (think curry or stew) on weekly rotation.  I rarely eat a hot lunch in the week as we cook most evenings, so a sandwich it was.  I chose what I thought sounded the most interesting, so an 'Italian Club' filling of *deep breath* gammon ham, salami, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, red pepper tapenade, spinach, olives and egg mayo.  The result was deeply savoury and very palatable.  I didn't notice the egg in the mayonnaise but it provided a good level of moistness.  The tomatoes are far better than the sad specimens Pret use at the moment.  I'll visit again, and look forward to ordering the very retro sounding fishfinger sandwich.


Dinner was a repeat of last night's stew, mash and kale.  V made the mash without butter, which was not missed as much as I thought it would be.  The kale was better too, being steamed and buttered.  The flavours of the stew had developed well, but i always find that the carrot in stew tastes a bit funky the next day or beyond.


Stew doesn't look as appealing in photos as it does in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment