Wednesday 15 February 2012

Sat 11 - Pizza Express Takeaway

After the relative excitement of the last two days, nothing much to report on Saturday.  Late start, Dorset Cereals granola for breakfast.  Actually it was lunch really, as it was eaten about midday.

Nothing else until dinner, for which we settled with a takeaway from Pizza Express.  I know, it's not the most exciting eatery in the world, but I like it.  The product and service are consistent wherever you are in the country, an impressive feat that most chains struggle to match.  It's not "proper" pizza so I can't compare it to the likes of Rossopomodoro or Franco Manca.  In fact, it's in a category of it's own - file under: reliable and above average chain.  I was not let down on this occasion, choosing an American Hot (pepperoni & chillies, traditional base) and the fairly new addition to the range, Alba (Calabrese sausage, masacrpone, fennel seeds, parsley, Grand Padano on a thin "Romana" base).  The Alba works really well, it's good to see them trying something different, though I find that the Romana base goes cold too quickly.  American Hot was up to it's usual standard.  Look at the size difference, which is reflected in the price!


I part paid using a voucher.  This is worth mentioning as I think that Pizza Express have made things difficult for themselves with their price increases and use of 2-4-1 offers.  These two pizzas came to £22 before voucher application, which is just too much isn't it?  If we'd have eaten in, and ordered a cheap bottle of wine, it would have come to over £40.  I don't believe this is good value for money, and would no longer eat in a Pizza Express if I wasn't armed with vouchers.  It seems to me as if they've raised general prices to make up for the 2-4-1's they give away.  Also, £1.50 for extra vegetable toppings???  I love extra olives, but will not be paying £1.50 for the seven you usually receive.  Over 20p an olive!  Greedy, and it puts me off one of the few chains I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment