Wednesday 15 February 2012

Sun 12 - Another Satisfying Sunday

We seem to be doing well on Sundays recently.  Cereal to start again, then a simple sandwich of roast peppers, chorizo and a few salad leaves.  I try to use Romano peppers for roasting, they're a lot sweeter than bell peppers and the skin's far easier to remove.


I'm trying to make the most of the short blood orange season, so prepared this salad of beetroot, goats cheese, hazelnuts and blood orange as a precursor to dinner.  I used shop-bought beetroot instead of roasting my own.  Annoyingly, the oranges weren't blood-coloured at all.  Tasted fine though.


The main course was Iberico pork loin, chickpea stew, with more roast peppers.  The pork was overcooked and a bit dry, despite the use of a meat thermometer.  I fear I may have damaged it buy submerging the probe in water briefly.  Unfortunately, it may take a few more overcooked hunks of meat to prove this!  The chickpea stew was simple and effective, containing only tinned tomatoes, smoked paprika, half an onion, and chickpeas.  I warmed the peppers up before serving.  It's a tried and tested combination that didn't fail me on this occasion - what a pity that the thermometer did!


I also made some marmalade, but as mentioned earlier in this post there wasn't blood in the oranges.  It came out nicely, with a good set, but is not the colour I was hoping for!  I used a seville marmalade recipe and reduced the sugar by 30% to account for the sweeter oranges I was using.

No comments:

Post a Comment