Monday 6 February 2012

Sat 4 - Blood Oranges, Soif & Thai Curry

I kicked off with a bowl of Dorset Cereals Honey Granola.  Pretty tasty and containing lots of nuts and seeds.  I've convinced myself that it's good for you, please don't tell me otherwise!

 
We stopped in Soif on Battersea Rise for some snacks and a drink on Saturday afternoon.  Soif is sister restaurant to Terroirs and Brawn, I couldn't find an individual website so I've included a link to the Terroirs one.  The kitchen was closed (it was about 4pm) so we chose a selection of charcuterie - pork terrine, fennel salami, petit lucques green olives, and some lardo di colonatta.  This was served with some sour dough bread and butter, both of which were kept replenished by our helpful and enthusiastic waiter.  The highlight was the lardo, thinly sliced and exceedingly delicate.  The terrine was a winner too, and the olives were as delicious as this variety always is.  The salami was ok, but pricey at £7 for perhaps ten slices.  The pictures I took weren't up to much, so I've only printed the lardo.  I'll be back for a proper dinner there soon.


Blood oranges are in season, and I managed to find some in Sainburys no less.  There's an Angela Hartnett recipe that I've wanted to try for ages, for sea bream marinated in blood orange, with radish, watercress, coriander and sesame seeds.  I thought it came out really well, tasting as good as it looked.  Blood orange is particularly delicate, and didn't overwhelm the fish (which I sliced too thinly).  I used a splash of soy sauce (listed as optional in the recipe), which I will omit next time, the plate would have tasted fresher without it.  Good recipe though, simple and beautiful.  I love blood oranges and will be using them as much as I can in their short season.  Blood orange marmalade next weekend . . .


We followed that with a REALLY hot thai green curry, cooked from scratch by V.  Basmati rice and sprouting brocoli with oyster sauce and soy on the side.  I'd had a few beers by the time this was ready, needless to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I find the heat of Thai curries much more tolerable than that of Indian, and it doesn't play such havoc with me the next day (gross, sorry).   Why is this?

No comments:

Post a Comment