Monday 27 February 2012

Wed 22 - Balls Sandwiches & Luc's Brasserie

Smoothie and banana to start, frequently the only healthy part of my day.

We (seven of my work colleagues and I) were taken out for a selection of sandwiches at Balls Brothers, Bury Court, for lunch.  Balls Brother sandwiches are usually excellent, tasting freshly made and being packed with fillings that are usually fatter than the bread, American-stylee.  We had some crispy chips, mini sausages and quails eggs with celery salt on the side.  This might sound a bit perverse as I'm keen on the quail eggs, but does anyone eat egg sandwiches given the choice???  I can confirm that as per usual they remained on the tray once everyone had plundered the good stuff, to be given to the bin via the kitchen.  I guess the mark-up is pretty good for the owners, but what waste.  Still, I like Balls, best place in the City for a casual group lunch.


Dinner was at Luc's Brasserie in Leadenhall Market.  I was taken out by attorneys so did not have to pay, one of the few perks of my job.  Photographing your meal is not generally the done thing in these circumstances, but do it I did.  The starters was so uninspiring that I chose a salad, which if you've been following my blog you'll know is a very rare occurrence.  I was swayed by the offer of goat's curd alongside leaves and artichoke, hence the virtually unique choice.  I wasn't impressed; dressed leaves with a couple of slices of roast pepper, two artichokes, and two clumps of what appeared to me to be goat's cheese.  I've never eaten goat's curd before, but was expecting something smooth rather than the crumbly substance I received.  It resembled cheap, crumbly goat's cheese of the sort that you'd find in a supermarket.  I did inquire about this, and the waitress came back from the kitchen with a small label upon which the words "goat curd" were written, so either I'm wrong (very likely, happens frequently), or someone's being fibbed to (in which case, a shocker of a lie for a restaurant to tell it's customers).  Nonetheless, I could effortlessly make a better salad at home, which pisses me off no end when I'm eating out.  The different parts weren't even mixed together, it was more like leaves and roasted pepper, with artichoke and goat's curd (cheese?), than an actual salad.


For my main, rib-eye steak with bernaise and fries.  The unexceptional meat was pan-fried to a good medium-rare level, and the sauce was as thick as it should be with a noticeable tarragon flavour.


However, the fries were pale and underdone.  Sorry about the picture, I should have just taken one of the fries.  Learning curve.  Served with welcome greenage and the usual unloved semi-tomato.


The restaurant's laid out in an L-shape on the first floor overlooking Leadenhall Market.  It's decked out in wooden tables, surrounded by classic French period posters (i.e. typical French brasserie in the UK look), and served by polite and competent staff.  It's very expensive, kind of like a high-end Cafe Rouge.  I should finish by saying that I came here during the busy lunch period a couple of months ago and received a better meal than this, so perhaps they pull out the stops when it matters, but based on my latest experience I would not visit if I was picking up what must be a considerable tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment